Zoom Voice Communications, Inc. 911 Customer Notification For Canadian Customers
Effective March, 2019
This notification provides important information about the ability to connect to 911 emergency calling services using Zoom Phone Service. Please read it carefully.
Zoom Phone 911 Service: Zoom Phone 911 Service operates differently than traditional 911 service. The CRTC requires us to advise our customers of the circumstances under which 911 may not be available or may be in some way limited by comparison to traditional 911 service. Such circumstances include:
(1) Be prepared during any service interruption . VoIP phone service depends not only on your continued subscription (and payment) for the service, but also on Internet connectivity and power to function. In the event of power, network, or Internet outages (including congestion), or if your service is disconnected or suspended due to non-payment, you may experience a failure, disruption or delay in your 9-1-1 service. We recommend that you keep an alternative phone service (such as a cellular telephone) handy to increase the reliability of your access to emergency services during any service interruption.
(2) Do not disconnect. Until you are told to do so by an emergency dispatcher, do not disconnect your 9-1-1 call. If you are inadvertently disconnected, call back immediately.
(3) Network Configuration. If your company’s network configuration does not permit Zoom Phone Service to connect, your company will not have access to Zoom Phone Service and therefore will not have access to 911 service.
(4) Service Relocation and Non-Native Telephone Numbers. Traditional 911 service automatically sends 911 calls to the appropriate local emergency call centre or national emergency call centre, based on the user’s telephone number. Traditional Enhanced 911 service (also known as E911) automatically sends 911 calls to the appropriate local emergency call centre or national call centre along with the user’s address and telephone number. Because Zoom Phone Service permits customers (and customers’ users) to use Zoom Phone Service anywhere they have broadband Internet access, and to obtain numbers that may not correspond with their current location, Zoom Phone 911 Service functions differently than traditional 911 service in certain respects:
Because a user’s telephone number does not necessarily correspond with the user’s physical location, all users must provide Zoom Voice Communications, Inc. (“Zoom Voice”) with their Registered Location when the company sets up their service. The Registered Location is the street address where the users will be using Zoom Phone Service.
Zoom Voice will, where possible, automatically transmit a user’s Registered Location to the appropriate emergency call centre. Accordingly, if a user relocates the equipment (for example, laptop, tablet, mobile device, desktop phone or desktop computer) used to access Zoom Phone Service, the user must update the Registered Location. If the user does not update the Registered Location, any 911 call the user makes using Zoom Phone Service will be routed based on the user’s previously provided Registered Location and therefore may not be routed to the appropriate emergency call centre for the user’s current location.
Once a user notifies Zoom Voice of a change in the Registered Location, there may be a delay in making the new Registered Location available to properly route 911 calls and advise emergency call centres of the user’s Registered Location.
If a user’s Registered Location is not correct or for other technical reasons, the emergency call centre may not have the user’s address and telephone number. Accordingly, users should be to provide their name, location, and telephone number to an answering emergency centre.
(5) Inform other Users . You must notify employees, visitors, or other potential users of your VoIP service of the nature and limitations of 911 emergency calls. To make this easier, attach the stickers provided by Zoom Voice in a visible location on your equipment
(6) Outbound-Only Extensions. Your company may choose to enable certain extensions for outbound-only calling. Outbound-only extensions will not be assigned a telephone number to receive inbound calls and may not be used to call 911.
(7) Limitation of Liability . Zoom Voice does not have any control over whether, or the manner in which, local emergency response centres or the national calling centre answers or responds to 911 calls made using Zoom Phone’s Service. Zoom Voice disclaims all responsibility for the conduct of local emergency response centres and the national emergency calling centre. Zoom Voice relies on third parties to route 911 calls to local emergency response centres and to a national emergency calling centre. Zoom disclaims any and all liability or responsibility in the event such third party routes calls incorrectly or the data used to route calls is incorrect. Neither Zoom Voice nor its officers, directors, employees, affiliates, agents and any other service providers who provides service to you in connection with Zoom Phone Service (“Zoom Indemnitees”) may be held liable for any claims, damages, or losses, fines, penalties, costs and expenses arising from or relating to Zoom Phone’s 911 Service (collectively, “Claims”), and you hereby waive any and all such Claims unless such Claims arise from Zoom’s gross negligence, recklessness or willful misconduct. You shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Zoom Indemnitees from any Claims by, or on behalf of, your or any third party relating to the absence, failure or outage of Zoom Phone Service, incorrectly routed 911 calls, and/or the inability of any user of the Service to be able to use 911 service or access emergency service personnel.
Customer account administrators must confirm that they have read and understood this notice before enrolling users on Zoom Phone Service. Customers are responsible for ensuring that the Registered Location is kept updated for their users and for complying with all requirements of the 911 notice.
Zoom's policies may require modifications in order to comply with applicable laws and regulatory requirements. Any such changes to Zoom's policies will be posted here. If you would like to receive notification of updates to our policies, please provide your email address in the box below.