Despite confusion over what exactly social and emotional learning (SEL) is and what this set of skills should be called, research is clear that SEL can help support the academic, personal, and professional development of young people. Building upon a session at the 2017 Ready By 21 Conference in Austin, TX, this webinar will highlight national research and best practices from around the country to explore:
· The value of afterschool settings in cultivating SEL;
· The ways in which SEL can align with 21st century/employability skills over time;
· What developmentally-appropriate social and emotional skill-building looks like in practice;
· The relationship between afterschool program quality and the measurement of SEL practices for the purposes of continuous improvement;
· How SEL in afterschool settings aligns with other common community goals along the continuum of services for young people; and
· The ways in which afterschool can complement in-school SEL to ensure that all kids are ready for college, work, and life.
This session is presented in partnership with the American Youth Policy Forum.