Bioenergy Europe and The European Biochar Industry Consortium are pleased to invite you to the webinar "Biomass-based Carbon Sinks: Carbon neutrality 2050".
Europe has politically set the path to climate neutrality through the Green Deal.
In order to achieve carbon neutrality, we need to act on two fronts: (i) rigorous emissions reduction and (ii) active carbon removal from the atmosphere.
The webinar will discuss three realistic, quickly scalable and shovel ready biomass-based solutions for carbon removal:
- Bioenergy with carbon capture and storage,
- Forests as carbon sinks as well as
- Pyrogenic Carbon Capture and Storage (Biochar).
The aim is to provide scientific information on these key biomass-based C-sink solutions, their technological readiness level and highlight their advantages, limitations and synergies with the long-term climate projections.
The event will consist of 5 presentations delivered by the leading experts in this field and followed by a Q&A session.
- Simon Kay, Senior Expert, European Commission, DG Climate Action, Land Use and Finance for Innovation Unit
- Prof. Jan Minx, Head of working group Applied Sustainability Science, Mercator Research Institute on Global Commons and Climate Change (MCC)
- Dr.Sc. Kati Koponen, Senior Scientist, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
- Dr. Hans Verkerk, Principal Scientist - Climate-Smart Forestry, European Forest Institute (EFI)
- Hansjörg Lerchenmüller, Chairman, European Biochar Industry Consortium (EBI)