Momentum to raise the tobacco sales age from 18 to 21 has been growing in cities and counties throughout Minnesota. Whether you’ve heard a lot or a little about the policy, you probably have some questions. You might be wondering: Has this policy shown reductions in youth tobacco use? Is it worth working on a local policy or waiting for a state law to pass? How do I respond to my community’s questions about this topic?
This webinar will share the rationale behind local Tobacco 21 policies and the positive impact they have had on reducing youth smoking rates. We will also answer your questions about building community support on this topic and how to work with your local decision makers who might not be convinced of the benefits. An update on state legislative activity on this policy will also be shared.
Participants will leave knowing:
- The impact of Tobacco 21 policies on youth tobacco use and the research which supports it.
- The value of passing this policy locally.
- The influence local policies have on creating statewide change and reductions in youth tobacco use.
- Responses to community members’ frequently asked questions and concerns about implementing this policy.
- Lessons learned from community organizers in Minnesota who have passed a Tobacco 21 policy.
- Talking points, tips, and tools to pursue this policy in your community. These tools include: an assessment to gauge community readiness, methods for community engagement, draft ordinance language and letter templates.