In January, a coalition of over a dozen groups launched Stop the Money Pipeline: a major new mobilization, targeting the financial sector’s funding of climate chaos.
Our message to banks, insurance companies, asset managers, and institutional investors is simple:
1) Stop funding fossil fuels and deforestation.
2) Start respecting human rights and Indigenous sovereignty.
Here in Hartford Connecticut, we are in the insurance capital of the world, and we have a unique opportunity to move major U.S. insurers out of fossil fuels.
CT-based insurers are all sensitive to public opinion with brands to protect and customers to retain. When we unveil their complicity in the destruction of our climate, we threaten their profits and their ability to attract customers. The more we increase their reputational risk, the more we increase the financial risk of continuing to finance new fossil fuel projects and deforestation.
Join us to learn about:
– The insurance industry and how it is fueling the climate crisis.
– The national day of finance actions on April 23, during the youth-led Earth Week climate strikes.
– How you can get involved here in CT!
– Bill McKibben, Founder 350.org
– Sulakshana, Energy Finance Campaigner, Rainforest Action Network
– Sam Dynowski, CT Sierra Club
– Tom Swan, Citizen Citizen Action Group