Many Michigan communities are struggling with the fallout of Substance Use Disorders (SUD). Even worse, the Detroit Free Press reported in July, “Overdose deaths in Michigan increased more than 16% between 2019 and 2020.” In the Samaritas SUD Forum, experts will explore some of the reasons why people turn to substances for relief and learn about statewide resources to help them recover.
SUD Treatment Advocate and award-winning Detroit Red Wings Bally Sports Sportscaster Ken Daniels will lead this virtual discussion. He and other experts will explore the warning signs of addiction, options for long-term treatment, and how to stop the stigma associated with drug abuse recovery.
For Daniels, it’s personal. He and Lisa Daniels-Goldman established the Jamie Daniels Foundation in memory of their late son, Jamie, who died of an overdose at 23.
The following SUD experts will join Daniels:
- Dr. Deidre Hurse, Ph.D., Professor of Foundational Medical Studies, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
- Jessica Kincaid, SUD Analyst, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Family Preservation, Prevention and Protection Bureau
- Anthony Muller MA, LPC, CAADC, CCS, SPADA, Vice President of Substance Use Disorder Services, Samaritas
- Malkia Newman, Team Supervisor, CNS Healthcare Anti-Stigma Program, Person in Recovery, and Advocate
- Margaret Trimer, Jamie Daniels Foundation Board Member and Vice President of Strategic Partnerships for Delta Dental of Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana
We look forward to seeing you online and participating with these esteemed panelists. Feel free to jump into the discussion.