A critical issue for utilities planning to integrate DER resources into grid operations is how to manage these resources. A major challenge is designing and implementing an interoperable eco-system of utility management systems (DERMS), aggregators and gateways and end-devices themselves. It would be ideal to create a “plug-and-play” eco-system to speed deployment, lower costs and improve performance of DERs. QualityLogic has been working with the standard grid-edge communications protocols (OpenADR, IEEE 2030.5, IEC 61850, DNP3, etc) for the past 10 years. These standards are a key component in creating the desired eco-system of vendors and products.
As the leading developer of the test tools and training for implementing grid-edge protocols, we have a unique perspective on this challenge and we'll be sharing that information during this webinar.
· Introductions, Background and Definitions
· Standards vs Proprietary solutions.
· Use-cases: SCADA, DR, Solar Smoothing, Solar Shaping, Duck Curve Mitigation, Black Start, Frequency Regulation, CA Rule 21 Solar and Storage, V2G.
· Protocols reviewed: DNP3, IEC 61850, OpenADR, IEEE 2030.5
· Protocol selection process: Deployment models and messaging requirements; example use case selection process
· Matrix of applications/protocol considerations and recommendations
· Other considerations and issues to be addressed
· Q&A – 20 min
Triangle MicroWorks, Inc.