The seminar session on climate change will highlight the impacts of climate change on the oceans, the role that oceans play in climate dynamics, and mitigation and adaptation strategies to climate change. The panellists will explain how climate change affects disadvantaged coastal communities, and oceans and marine life. This seminar session will explain the social and economic impacts of climate change on coastal communities, and how climate change has altered the distribution of fish stocks, changed the structure of deep-sea ecosystem, and caused acidification that has contributed to the loss of marine habitats and species. It will also provide an opportunity to discuss innovation and adaptation strategies that can support the sustainability of the oceans and improve coastal communities’ resilience to climate change.
1. Dr Emmanuel Acheampong, the University of Cape Coast
2. Professor Andrew K. Sweetman, Heriot Watt University
3. Professor Murray Roberts, the University of Edinburgh
4. Dr Daniela Diz, Heriot Watt University
5. Professor Merle Sowman, the University of Cape Town