As part of our advocacy to ensure that EU law is applied without discrimination and that CJEU judgments recognising LGBTI rights, like the Coman judgement, are properly implemented in all EU Member States, ILGA-Europe is holding a webinar on bringing cases to the European Commission.
Bringing complaints before the European Commission serves as a basis for raising awareness on the obstacles faced by LGBTI people, and for initiating a formal infringement procedure against a Member State to help ensure its compliance with EU law.
This webinar is for all LGBTI organisations and activists in the European Union. Our speakers and experts will share their experience of bringing cases to the European Commission on discriminatory application of EU law and failure of implementation of CJEU judgments, as well as provide guidance on EU law aspects that can be challenged through the procedure.
Speakers will include:
• Teodora Ion-Rotaru, Executive Director of the Romanian LGBTI association ACCEPT
• Professor Alina Tryfonidou, professor at the University of Reading
• Etienne Deshoulières from Deshoulières Avocats Associés Law Firm
• Maria Vilar Badia, Legislative Officer at DG JUST of the European Commission
• Bénédicte Marquet, Legal and Policy officer at DG JUST of the European Commission, Unit – Union citizenship rights and free movement
With moderation by Arpi Avetisyan, Senior Litigation Officer at ILGA-Europe
With contributions from European Commission experts:
- Maria Vilar Badia, Legislative Officer at DG JUST
- Bénédicte Marquet, Legal and Policy officer at DG JUST, Unit – Union citizenship rights and free movement