In keeping with the theme of the 2018 COABE conference, the Adult Numeracy Network wants to remind you that when flying at these new higher altitudes of math standards and assessment, we need to put on our own “math” before assisting our students. Regardless of the level of math that you teach, having increased content knowledge will equip you to better explain concepts to students and give you more avenues to connect with their background knowledge as you listen to students explain their reasoning.
This one-hour webinar will highlight one hands-on and collaborative activity to deepen our own math content knowledge in various areas and at various levels (so you will benefit regardless of the math you know or teach). Plus, since our own learning is ongoing, just like that of our students, you will also leave with specific resources and strategies for continued mathematical learning after the webinar.
1. Participants will deepen their understanding of one or more mathematics content area(s) of the College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS).
2. Participants will develop their understanding of how their level of mathematics content knowledge contributes to the learning experience of their students.
3. Participants will increase their awareness of their own strengths and/or gaps in mathematics content knowledge.
4. Participants will gain specific strategies and resources for continued learning after the conference.
5. Participants will learn about the value of a low-floor and high-ceiling activity.
Presented by: Heidi Schuler-Jones and Stephanie Stewart-Reese