Across America Community Schools have proven to play a critical role in responding to the COVID-19 crisis. Now as schools reopen, Community Schools continue to serve as a vehicle to advance equity amidst the health, racial, and economic crises our country is facing.
“Therefore, school districts, municipalities and counties across the U.S. should look at Community Schools not only for advancing education, but as an emergency preparedness strategy that addresses any crisis by creating a culture of community care that re-envisions the way we view education systems,” stated by Aqsa Rashid, Next Generation Coalition Co-Chair, in her op-ed (https://bit.ly/CoalitionOpEd).
This webinar features real time solutions by current professionals of community-wide Community School initiatives as they highlight innovative ways Community Schools are addressing:
• Reengaging Students
• Serving Special Populations
• Family & Community Engagement
• Teaching & Learning
• Health & Social-Emotional Supports
A moderated discussion will include time for questions from attendees.
Our distinguished Community School professionals include:
• Carla Feltz, Vancouver Public Schools – Vancouver, WA
• Carol Paine-McGovern, Kent School Services Network – Grand Rapids, MI
• Christa Rowland, United Way of Treasure Valley – Boise, ID
• Danette Townsend, ABC Community School Partnership – Albuquerque, NM
• Dr. Donnie Hale, UCF Center for Community Schools – Florida
• Heather Naviasky, The Y in Central Maryland – Baltimore, MD
• Jim Grim, IUPUI Office of Community Engagement – Indiana
• Julie Borst, Save Our Schools NJ Community Organizing, and NJ Community Schools Coalition – New Jersey
• Laura Elliot, United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County – Asheville, NC
• Nuchette M. Black-Burke, M. Ed., Hartford Public Schools – Hartford, CT
• Ryan Hurley, Milwaukee Community Schools Partnership – Milwaukee, WI
• Sarah Jonas, New York City DOE Department of Community Schools – New York, NY