This webinar will consider the impact of a dry winter/spring on potential salinity levels in soil and fruit. The following issues will be addressed:
• Climatic data – indications of a potential problem?
• Leaching – winter rainfall, irrigation requirements
• Different types of salinity – osmotic/toxic
• Monitoring salinity levels – soils/petioles/soil water
• Quality of irrigation water
• Grapevine tolerance to salt – rootstocks, varietal differences
• How is salinity measured – ppm or dS/m?
• Effects of salinity on growth and development
• Na vs Cl toxicity – allowable concentrations