The climate crisis is the preeminent challenge of our time and the COVID-19 pandemic offers an opportunity to build back a better world. The webinar will highlight the relationship between population growth, ageing societies and climate change. Older people from different regions and a panel of experts will share their views on how older people can play an active role in saving our planet.
Opening remarks from Patricia Espinoza, Executive Secretary of UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Moderator: Kaveh Zahedi, Deputy Executive Secretary, ESCAP
Thought piece: Karl Pillemer, Professor of Human Development, Cornell University
Climate change and population ageing experts in the region:
• Jyoti Parikh, Recipient of Nobel Peace Prize awarded to IPCC authors in 2007
• Xiao Caiwei, President, China National Committee on Ageing (CNCA)
• Preety Bhandari, Chief of the Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management
Thematic Group, Asian Development Bank (ADB)
• Quyen Tran, Older People Association Expert, HelpAge International
• Mozaharul Alam, Regional Coordinator, Climate Change Programme Asia and the
Pacific Office, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
• Prakash Tyagi, Executive Director of GRAVIS, India
For more information, please contact Events Secretariat