It's a brand-new book group, with Menlo Park Library!
Melanated Reads is a virtual book club for African American women. Though we welcome anyone to join the group, our purpose and focus is on inspiring, uplifting, and providing a safe space for African American Women to speak, vent and enjoy honest and open conversation. The book club meets monthly and chooses from books written by African American authors. Our goal of this community based group is to introduce a variety of African African American writers who will help build a love of reading in a positive environment while meeting new people and gaining new perspectives.
Our group will meet the 1st Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m.
Welcome to our group! Please observe our COMMUNITY GUIDELINES
- Success depends on participation. Collectively we should share ideas, ask questions, and engage in conversation.
- Respectfully listen and wait to respond.
- Listen to understand, share your unique perspective, and speak honestly.
- Be positive, non-judgmental, and open to new ideas.
- Critique ideas, not people.
- Respect each other’s contributions. Great things happen through courageous conversations.
About My Sister the Serial Killer, by Oyinkan Braithwaite
“It’s Lagos noir—pulpy, peppery and sinister, served up in a comic deadpan…This book is, above all, built to move, to hurtle forward—and it does so, dizzyingly. There’s a seditious pleasure in its momentum. At a time when there are such wholesome and dull claims on fiction—on its duty to ennoble or train us in empathy—there’s a relief in encountering a novel faithful to art’s first imperative: to catch and keep our attention… This scorpion-tailed little thriller leaves a response, and a sting, you will remember.” —NEW YORK TIMES