Seminar Series on the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Marine Biological Diversity of Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction : Day 1 Purpose, History, Procedural Aspects, and Topics
This seminar will provide an explanation on the purpose, history, procedural aspects, and topics that are addressed in the proposed BBNJ treaty. It will also offer personal insights on the experience of people who represent member states and civil society organisations in the BBNJ negotiations, what they do to prepare themselves for the process, the challenges that they face, their strategy to overcome challenges, and what they find exciting from this negotiation.
1. Purpose, History, Procedural Aspects, and Topics Identified in the BBNJ Negotiation Process
Mr. Fernando Cabrera Diaz , Legal Officer, UNDOALOS.
2. What is it like to participate in the BBNJ negotiations?
1. Mr Randy Bumbury, the Ministry of Agriculture, Department of Fisheries, Guyana.
2. Dr Mariamalia Rodríguez Chaves, High Seas Alliances.
3. Mr Epeli Maisema, the Offshore Fisheries Division of the Ministry of Fisheries, Fiji.