For many entrepreneurs, licensing from a university may be a new experience. This series of webinars provides information that will be helpful for academic entrepreneurs contemplating their first (or perhaps subsequent) license from an academic institution. Presented by an attorney who represents many academic startups, including their investors, along with two academic technology transfer veterans, these webinars bring views from both sides of the table and best practices for a fruitful and efficient negotiation.
In part two of this 5-part webinar series, the panelists will cover:
- The University technology circle of life
- Startup’s due diligence and evaluation
- University’s diligence
- Pre-license and other agreements, including CDAs, Letter Agreements, Option Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, Inter-institutional Agreements, Sponsored Research Agreements
Subsequent parts of the series are:
• The Term Sheet; Financials of a License – (May 2021; exact date TBD)
• The License, Part 1 - License Primer; Reservation of Rights; Sublicensing; Change of Control; Reporting; Termination – July (exact date TBD)
• The License, Part 2 - The “Lawyer” Parts - Indemnities, Warranties, Liabilities; All Things Patents; Ownership; Name Use – September (exact date TBD)
Note that the license part of the series will only cover certain areas of the license agreement. These are areas often most discussed during negotiations, particularly with those unfamiliar with university license agreements.