Join us as chef Supriya Mehta teaches us how to make a delicious tikki (beetroot patty)-- and a chai to wash it down!
Prep your ingredients :
BEETROOT CUTLET (Spiced beet patties):
Vegan patties made with nutritious beets and flavored abundantly with spices. Can be eaten as it is or as a burger.
Makes about 6 patties .
• 3 medium-sized beets, steamed ( ready to eat cooked beets can also be used)
• 2 large potatoes, boiled (any kind)
• ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
• ½ teaspoon paprika or cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon fennel powder
• ½ teaspoon Garam Masala or All spice
• 1 teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
• 1 teaspoon chaat masala (lemon salt)
• Juice from half a lemon
• 1 serrano pepper(finely chopped)
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/2 inch piece of ginger root, minced (or 1/4 tsp ginger powder)
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch or 2 brown bread slices or white bread,
• soaked in water and squeezed basically something to bind the patties together
• ½ cup bread crumbs or panko or soojib(semolina)
• 2 tablespoons oil for pan frying.
CHAI (Hot, spiced Indian Milk Tea) :
Makes 2 servings :
1.5 cups water
1/2 pc of ginger root
2-3 cardamom pods
1.5 tsp black tea
Cinnamon/Black pepper/Lemongrass/Mint (optional for additional flavor)
1 cup milk (non dairy creamer can be used )
Sugar to taste
To strain tea, a fine strainer is needed.
About Supriya Mehta
Supriya learned how to cook from her mother. As a child, she would watch her in the kitchen as she added colorful, aromatic spices and ingredients to big pots full of homemade foods. Once Supriya tasted a dish that she loved, she would cook it over and over again until it tasted perfect. She is a vegetarian, and loves cooking with fresh seasonal produce and fresh, home-ground spices. Supriya cooks for a home-style food platform called Shef, and for food industry-focused events. Supriya says that she hopes to contribute towards increasing sustainability in the food industry.