This course is best run for either care staff or trained staff but not a mixed group as their needs are very different. It is designed for staff new to this field or as a refresher. This should be viewed as an overview as palliative care is a diverse topic with many factors dependent to the individuals specific needs.
This course allows people to discuss their own feelings and experiences.
Skills and knowledge highlighted in this training include
• Legislation and agreed ways of working
• Communication skills
• Factors affecting end of life care
• Care planning in relation to end of life
• Nutrition and hydration
• Loss and bereavement for the families and the patient
• Available support for the individual and key people
• Consideration of individuals ideals and beliefs
• The last 48hrs of life & support individuals through the process of dying
• Managing and dealing with their own feelings/staff support
• For trained staff this course also includes the basics of pain/symptom control along with some of the common drugs/treatments used