The provision of oxygen as part of the basic life support process is not difficult and training can easily be incorporated into a primary care training programme.
Please note: This is a theory based webinar, instructional videos are used to demonstrate the practical elements of this training.
Competency is achieved in the workplace following the webinar. Each procedure needs to be signed off by a qualified, senior member of staff. Acute will not assume any responsibility for such assessments. The completed document can then be used to identify the individuals’ competence.
Skills and knowledge highlighted in this training include
• Anatomy and physiology of the lungs
• Conditions that require oxygen therapy
• Understanding oxygen
• Care and safety of medical gases
• Oxygen therapy equipment
• Potential hazards
• Identifying the clinical need of oxygen
• Prescription only medicines Act (POM)
• Targeted oxygen therapy
• Health and safety
• Ethical and legal responsibilities
• Competency framework & theory test