Being influential can be challenging in-and-of-itself; being influential with a skeptical audience poses its own unique difficulties. Engaging with people who seem dubious or doubtful in the face of your really good ideas can feel like being in a mental tug of war.
Andrea P. Howe, co-author of The Trusted Advisor Fieldbook and Founder of The Get Real Project, will lead an interactive “deep dive” discussion on three critical steps required to help a skeptical audience hear what you have to say. Specifically, you’ll learn:
- Why you should actually celebrate that they’re skeptical;
- How to open the conversation or presentation in an unexpected way that’s unexpectedly effective;
- Three specific techniques to listen masterfully while your audience has their guard up;
- How and when to bring your perspectives into the exchange;
- Strategies to skillfully manage the biggest de-railer throughout your interactions (hint: it isn’t them).