Who can see your viewing activity?
Suppose a district decides to switch to hours and ends their school year a couple of weeks early (say, June 1), but all current IEP's list the original school year end date (say, June 12). Do all those IEP's need to be amended to reflect a June 1 end date?
So there is no recommendation that we need to have a "comp ed" conversation with each student's parent? It also feels unrealistic to make a "comp ed" determination until we are back in school as services would continue in a remote setting.
If an OOD student is receiving remote instruction and the district pays for the residential portion of the bill. Can that expense be submitted for Sped Aid?
Will we need to submit a separate summer program approval should our program need to change to remote learning, or take place in some other time frame than in the past?
re students refusing services: I have a handful of students we have had some difficulty with so in addition to everything you suggested I am working with LEAs for next steps. I am so thankful and what to recognize those OOD coordinators for their assistance which has been individualized to that students situation. thank you!!
Regarding the previous question about comp. ed. do we have to have a conversation with every parent about comp. ed even if we have provided the services and have had no voiced concerns from the parents?
thank you Katie- that's what I was asking
thought so :)
Has there been any adjustments to allowable costs for special education aid for both in-district costs as well as out of district costs while we are in remote learning? If yes, how will we be notified?
We are seeing some great things taking place with our special educstion students. I would hope that the state would let us know whst is happening with summer ASAP.
how can we make determinations about the need for comp ed before remote learning is over if the decision is based upon the students' progress or lack there of during remote learning?
If we provide instruction/services throughout the summer (comp services) can we access CARES funding
Because they still use the term "comp ed," is the interpretation that comp ed will only be applied when a parent files due process, or complaint? Or are we able to consider "district-wide" comp ed protocols, outside of litigation process?
Do we need to complete TS Gold?
Comp Ed should be the final discussion. Most of our students should not need it!!!
I appreciate that we all are being encouraged to plan for ESY regardless of other decisions, but it is difficult to hire staff if we do not know what/how we are staffing ESY, etcv.
Mary, I heard yes to that question
Kim Di Salvo
Can districts make their own decision to have ESY remotely?
Agree with Esther!!
Districts and parents need guidance distinguishing between comp ed and comp services
Agree, Esther. If kids are making appropriate progress with what we are providing, then that should not lead to a comp ed conversation.
When the Governor decides whether we will continue remote learning this school year will he speak to when is that end date. For example, if the governor could be clear on whether remote learning is through June 15th or June 30th. Otherwise, districts will not be able to make decisions about ESY services starting in June and where they can take place. Thanks!
Thank you, Becky, about TS Gold. I haven’t heard.
Could we all get the answer to Mary’s question about TS Gold?
Edleblut's comments regarding comp ed, are misleading then, if it is indeed last resort, and should be applied with caution.
I do not believe many (if any) districts are doing in person services….even with small cohorts. I just do not want parents to feel that is something that is a wide spread option....
Given that individuals can be corona positive without symptoms I think that it is irresponsible to continue to state that small cohorts is acceptable. It puts our students and staff at risk.
it is discriminatory and a union issue to ask some staff and students to come into buildings and not others, so that is not a viable option
agree completely with DeannahR and Margaret
Agreed,Meg. I think that message of in person services is being misrepresented. I
Mary, Mary Beth LaSalle said yes to TS Gold
Can you (re)send the information on electronic signatures you referenced on the first slide?
Mary Beth said yes to AEPSI as well
Melissa, Thanks but the state isn’t doing any assessment. Is this consider a state assessment?
Could it be expressed that having a state-wide response to ESY being in the building or remote, is important. If individual districts have to make their own decisions on this, it will cause a lot of inequity across the state.
Parents may be thinking comp ed equals make up services. Comp Ed remains a team decision and hopefully rare. I know districts already are worried about budget impact for FY ‘21
If remote learning is extended through the end of the year, will the Bureau postpone deadlines for indicator 11 audits and/or compliance & monitoring? We do not want to send staff into buildings to access files risking exposure.
As of right now, OSEP has not issued any flexibility with regards to timelines, including Indicator 7. I am working with our National TA Centers and other states to determine if there might be other means for collecting our exiting data for Indicator 7.
Are there programs that have been vetted to meet the privacy standards for electronic signatures? We have not found any programs that meet the data privacy standards as of yet.
i agree with Martha
Mary also stated that TS Gold and AEPSI are not state assessments but indicator measures.
does the state know all the great things we are doing?
would you be open to working with NHASEA compliance committee?
i would be open to have state officials meet some of my cassmanagers to hear from the source
Having an electronic signature within NHSEIS would be a great solution. Adobe Sign does not meet data privacy requirements.
none of the e-signature platforms presented meet minimum standards for e-signatures. Tech directors not allowing districts to move forward because of this.
Agree with Chris.
We need signature companies who have signed our data privacy agreement.
Have any other states suspended monitoring of indicators during the pandemic?
Some districts are signing up for Panda Docs
for electronic signatures
Panda Docs vetted/approved yet?
NY is adjusting a lot.
Our IT director has said Panda Docs is the closest fit for data privacy but has not yet gotten a signed DPA.
We are going with Panda Docs as well
We need a signed DPA
Panda docs is what we are looking at. Very costly
Kim Di Salvo
Should we hold on getting the electronic signatures?
I think districts are struggling with which is worse- no e signatures, and just emails, or signatures that don’t meet DPA
Kim Di Salvo
Should we hold on getting the electronic signatures?
We are going to be “dinged” either way, it feels like.
Without a DPA my hands are tied.
Will an email consent from Parent = Signature?
I know it’s further out, but at some point can we get some guidance on how Q4 IEP updates should be handled. A lot of the data we collect for progress reporting is being collected, but not in the same controlled environment we were able to establish at school.
Docusign is around $480 per 5 users. I think I should hold off on spending district funds for now then.
We are using snail mail to send paperwork for original signatures.
What does DPA stand for?
Many parents do not want us mail right now
Where in the RSA does it say that email can't be an electronic signature? I looked over the RSA briefly and most of it says as long as it is mutually agreed upon. Wondering why the email shutdown?
I understand the DOE’s guidance indicates best practice is electronic signature; however, will email consent from Parent = consent?
That is the information I was hoping to get emailed. More than the technical advisory?
Could you verify, Best Practice Vs. Noncompliance? Consent by email = signature Email consent is not compliant?
So given all this guidance, the true only solution right now is physical signature in regular US mail/paper and pen?
Agree with Jane. Guidance is a very loose term
As an FYI, Panda Doc will require customizing special ed forms to meet their platform and meet criteria for parent response; districts are facing financial troubles and frozen budgets. Districts hoped the email communications would suffice for parent consent
What about a photo of parent signature
we are having IEP meetings electronicaly and parents are saying they are the best meetings ever!! We might want to look at electronic meetings as long term not short term. why not emails?
You can send docs to parents electronically, have them sign and scan back or mail back, correct?
We either violate the DPA, or are non compliant with signatures that do not meet compliance…
DocuSign was about $5000 for 1000 envelopes. All documents need to be templated in Docusign
Are you saying that only physical signature and electronic signature are compliant? And that email consent is non-compliant?
why is a picture of the signed document not sufficient?
When I spoke to DocuSign yesterday they offer the highest global security available and now it seems that’s insufficient for HB 1612?
How can NH Directors and superintendents best advocate for Round 3 of Covid Bill regarding special education waivers and extensions? including electronic signatures.
Ok. thank you for the clarification
I meant a picture of the signed docuemnt
Any chance the DOE could fund a platform such as PandaDoc with help from the field to create the customized forms? I know time is of the essence
Why are emails not best practise. what is the rational from state legal.
I think we are experiencing just one symptom of greater frustrations.Public messaging has been so consistently advising us all to be kind, compassionate and considerate to each other – to understand that we are all facing monumental stressors. UNLESS you happen to be responsible for IEPs, then we seem to be told (by the powers that be, not by any one person in particular) too bad, keep hitting every target and deadline plus keep meeting all of your other responsibilities…while standing on your head and juggling.The frustration stems from what feels just wildly unfair. None of us want to shortchange any child. We just hope for reasonableness.
The frustration is that we need guidance, we get it, and it is not complete or appropriate, or not valid, and we can’t just stop. We are being told to move forward, but then have to back track….
My special education staff is working so hard, and working during most of their “April Break”.
It is not any one person’s fault, but we are trying to meet what we need to, but then are told it was not correct/appropriate/compliant
Will Diana Fenton be putting out further guidance to the field regarding the e-signatures? If so, when can we expect that?
But if it is attached to a WPN I would feel comfortable with it.
We are told we “have” to do certain things, but two days later, are told it was just suggested….
That is not how we are getting consent by email. We ask the questions completely to get answers.
They can still get the documents via email. They will see the IEP, WPN, other forms and then requesting the email consent.
If Diana Fenton puts out more guidance can it please take into account the DPA?
If the NHSEIS platform can be set up, could email signatures suffice until then? I know folks have been holding meetings for the month of remote learning so it is tough (as you keep reading/hearing from frustrated folks…)
But at our IEP meetings - we are sharing the document with the whole team on the screen as well as having shared it with the parent. So i what way would they be saying they were not seeing what was agreed upon. There is also the WPN follow up.
Parents do your email explanation now in live meetings. we are giving them the final documents before we ask for an email response so both items are in an email.
Try being a private provider with all the public schools closing weeks before we’re allowed to…
Chrome has an app Sign Request but not sure if it meets security. Will check.
what if parents give verbal or email during the pandemic and then the next time we can be face to face, the parent adds the handwritten signature?
Is the DOE using Docusign? Does DOE have a signed DPA we could piggy back on using?
sorry, my frustration rippled over—my apologies
Kim Di Salvo
Thank you Becky, you are in the hot seat and I appreciate that if you are working as hard as you can to get us answers.
The reality is that noone knows, so we as reasonable professionals, will do what we can in our judgment of what is best for children's education, and the future chips will fall where they may.
we are all in this together.
Thank you Becky! Appreciated.
i think you missed some questions
thanks for everything, Becky
just a thank you for bearing with us as we struggle with things. SO SO NOT EASY
Thanks, Becky. Everyone stay healthy!
Agreed. I think we need to know what is actually compliant, however. I can say we are aware of what is best practice. Remote learning is certainly not best practice for all students.
If you need help from the field we can help. I know this is frustrating times
In NHSEIS, if signatures are allowed, can you be sure to add the eligibility forms for parents to sign electronically?
Take care everyone, thanks Becky.
we are giving them final documentation inthe email to respond
Thanks for everything, Becky.
Thank you Becky