Is Data Science a new approach to solving problems, one that applies across disciplines as various as physics, sociology and linguistics? Or are machine learning, deep convoluted neural nets, and other exciting phrases just statistics on steroids?
As a launching event of the Data Science Across Disciplines Research Group housed in the Institute for the Future of Knowledge, at the University of Johannesburg, this conference brings together reflections on both the actual and potential impact of data science across disciplines and sectors. Submissions are welcome from any disciplinary background, with a focus on scientific contributions, conceptual themes, and reflections within the areas of:
1. Responsible Data Science through the use of Deep Learning, Machine Learning, Data Engineering techniques and methodologies.
2. Explainability in Data Science.
3. Fairness and Discrimination in Data Science.
4. Ethics (broadly) in Data Science.
5. Data Science use cases illustrating the cross-disciplinary nature of the field of Data Science.